G&L 2500 distorted sound in active mode

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L. Simple questions regarding mods are okay, but really belong in the EBA or Paul's Technicalities.

Please; no links to other forums except as noted in the forum guidelines. Discussion of new instrument MSRP is okay, as is discussion of options pricing. However, there shall be no discussion of MAP or final negotiated pricing for new instruments. Used pricing is generally fair game.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

G&L 2500 distorted sound in active mode

Postby lukiluk78 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:11 am

Hi,
i have a beautiful G&l 2500 tribute but I have a problem .. Even with the pickups all turned down, in active mode the sound distorts if i dig in .. If I select the series mode, the problem is even greater ... The battery is new, so I exclude In passive mode it doesn't distort and I can bring the pickups closer to the strings What could it be?
lukiluk78

Re: G&L 2500 distorted sound in active mode

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:33 pm

lukiluk78 wrote:Hi,
i have a beautiful G&l 2500 tribute but I have a problem .. Even with the pickups all turned down, in active mode the sound distorts if i dig in .. If I select the series mode, the problem is even greater ... The battery is new, so I exclude In passive mode it doesn't distort and I can bring the pickups closer to the strings What could it be?

So that we can get to a known point, let's start with settings:

On the bass:
    Both pickups lowered quite a bit; about 15% from bottomed
    Volume to no more than 75%
    Treble and Bass controls to no more than 75%
    Both pickups ON
    Parallel mode
    Passive

On the amp:
    Input gain to about 40% --or-- input pad switch ON with input gain no more than 50%
    EQ set to flat (mid point)
    Master volume as needed

Test 1. Try these settings, making no changes.
Test 2. If the bass sounds okay flip to Active and try again, making no other changes.
Test 3. If the bass sounds okay flip back to Passive then to Series mode and try again, making no other changes.
Test 4. If the bass sounds okay flip to Active and try again, making no other changes.

Obviously, we want the bass to sound okay after all these tests. If it does sound okay, especially Test 4, then there is nothing wrong with your bass. If the bass continues to distort at these settings, you probably have a problem with the preamp and will need to contact your regional distributor for service:

GOLD MUSIC SRL
Via Magellano, 23
10090 Bruino (TO)
Italy
Tel. +39 011 9084169
WEB SITE: http://www.gold-music.it.net/
E-MAIL: info@gold-music.it

If the test show that the bass is okay, your settings are likely excessively high for this bass and amp combination. Use the settings above as a starting point and adjust as necessary.

It must be remembered that the L Series basses are extremely hot and can drive most amps to clip (bad distortion) in passive mode.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Re: G&L 2500 distorted sound in active mode

Postby lukiluk78 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:40 pm

Thank you very much Ken!!
lukiluk78

Return to G&L Basses